The image is straight out of the camera. The light was very flat and combined with water spraying on a waxy surface, the colors look pale and washed out. I also found the background very distracting.
To "save" the picture, I used Lightroom to lower the color temp, bring up the black and improve the contrast and color saturation. Then I used the clone tool in Photoshop to kill the background. Finally, back in Lightroom, I used the lens vignette control to burn the edges by about 40%.
All of these changes could easily have been done in a film darkroom - but not as easily as with the digital tools. I can't say that I miss the smell of Cibachrome bleach at 2:00 AM :)
The first shot is straight out of the camera,