Sunday, July 24, 2011

Calla Lilly #1 Variations


After several weeks of schedule conflicts, Susan and I finally made it to the studio to collaborate on a series of flower pictures.  Our first subject is this calla lily, actually a sickly plant we picked up at Trader Joe's, but we liked the bloom.  I noticed that Susan has been looking at a lot of Gustav Klimpt's paintings lately, so I thought I'd make a picture using technique that pays its respects to his work.


For the monochrome variant, I went with the Platinum process, which was new in Klimpt's day, with Nik Silver Efex Pro 2 using my own Platinum preset and a K2 equivalent filter.


Going even older old school, a runner up for me is this antique print process, one of the new presets in Nik Silver Efex Pro 2.  The defaults are too flat for my taste, but served as a starting point.

Technical
Camera: Nikon D700
Lens: AF Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 D
Exposure: ISO 200, f/22 @ 1/60s, 5 1-stop flash brackets, Daylight WB, RAW
Lighting: Ringlight strobe, small Flashpoint 85 watt fluorescent bank
Support: Gitzo Basalt Tripod and Acratech GP-2 ball head and leveling base
Location: Grand Center Artist Studio
Dates: Capture - July 24, 2011, Processed - July 24, 2011
Processing: Lightroom 3.3, Photoshop CS5, Nik HDR Efex, Nik Color Efex Pro

No comments: