Sunday, June 28, 2009

"Freedom Is Not Free"


Susan and I took a stroll along the Missouri river in the Kadi Trail Park and came upon this Veterans Memorial. Thankfully, all my friends who served in the military during in wartime actually returned home in realitively good shape. So when I think of the ultimate sacrifice, my thoughts go to several photojournalist friends who never came back from battle assignments. One in particular, Hiroshi Takanawa, a childhood friend and karate sparring partner, fell victim to a land mine just a few yards away from me. One thing led to another and I decided to imitate the "new photojournalism look" from Life magazine, circa 1969, where the pix were high contrast, layered with metaphors and photographers' shadows and reflections became part of the picture, no longer considered mistakes.

Nikon D700, ISO 1600, Cokin R72 Infrared filter, Nikon 24-85mm f2-f4, 24mm@f/8.0@1/25s. Under the right circumstances, the infrared filter really helps isolate graphic elements. RAW processed in Lightroom 2 by cropping to 1:1, some contrast adjust and applied standard Sepia preset.

No comments: