Monday, February 15, 2010

Tufted Puffin

To celebrate Valentine's Day, Jan and I had an excellent brunch at the Coronado. Afterwards we headed to the zoo and I found myself in an unusual situation: at the zoo without long lens or flash. So in Penguin/Puffin Cove I ran the 24-70mm out to 70mm, cranked the ISO to 3200, and shot at 1/50th at f/2.8 - and hoped for the best.

This young puffin took an interest in me. I'm not sure if it was the lens or the shutter sound, but the bird was intrigued and came very close, sometimes too close to focus.

I had to increase exposure by a stop in lightroom, but the ISO noise is really not bad.

Nikon D3, Nikon 24-70mm, 1/50 @ f/2.8, ISO 3200, Handheld

1 comment:

Preston Page Photography said...

The color is stunning and noise well under control for 3200 - good work, Ray!