Sunday, October 3, 2010

First Fall Colors, Morning Light HDR


Because I prefer back lit landscapes, I was not entirely happy with the first "First Fall Colors" post because the sun was behind the camera position.  Here is close to the same shot in morning light.  The Nikkor 180mm has an angle of view on an FX sensor of 9° and here the sun was about 12° off the optical center, just out of the frame.  Even with the lens hood fully extended, there was considerable lens flare and degraded contrast.  I moved the camera so that a post on the deck from which I was shooting blocked the sun, bringing back the contrast.  This is an HDR version from five shots bracketed 1 stop, processed in HDR Pro using Photorealistic as the starting point.  It was very windy, so I used "remove ghosts".

  
While I'm learning HDR, I've decided to always try a monochrome version, created here in Silver Efex Pro from the finished color, with Wratten #25 red filter and titanium paper toner.


Camera: Nikon D700 
Lens: AF NIKKOR 180mm f/2.8D IF-ED "Leni" lens w/B+W UV filter
Exposure: ISO 200, five one stop brackets around f/5.6 @ 1/320s, auto WB, RAW, tripod
Lighting: Filtered daylight
Location: Home GPS
Processing: Lightroom 3, Photoshop CS5 HDR Pro and Nik Silver Efex Pro 

No comments: