I was very curious about how well the Lens Corrections module in Lightroom 3 preserves resolution in extreme shooting, so I when I found this wall I wanted to shoot, it seemed like an ideal resolution target. This wall is two stories high, so I had to tilt the camera up to get it all in. The 50mm f/1.4 G is very sharp, but has quite a bit of barrel distortion. So first I applied the lens specific correction, which fixed all the inherent lens distortions and removed any CA. Then switched to manual to correct the vertical parallel distortion, which stretched the top pixels out quite a bit. At 100%, the top looks great, with no visible difference It is almost as good as having a view camera. I took the square crop into Nik HDR Pro to emphasize the red/green tone mapping.
This is a bit of a detour in the workflow, but as I was in Silver Efex Pro making a monochrome from the HDR, this "Antique Solarized Border" preset jumped out at me. I reminds me of an 1860s albumen print of ruins from Egypt.
Finally, this is the HDR monochrome from Silver Efex Pro, using a strong Copper toner, which is close to a brick red.
Camera: Nikon D700
Lens: Nikkor AF-S 50mm f1.4 G
Exposure: ISO 200, f/11 @ 1/60s, Daylight WB, tripod, NEF RAW capture
Location: 3856 Olive St., St. Louis, MO 63108 GPSProcessing: Lightroom 3, Nik HDR Efex, Nik Silver Efex Pro