With a slight change to the lighting and wardrobe, model Trisha Bradshaw enters the '80s with makeup by Sarah Lynn and styling by Susan Page. The starting image is the last in this set. This split tone monochrome was made in Nik Silver Efex Pro 2, which just released today. I used a using K2 yellow filter, Agfa 100 film type and blue/sepia split tone.
Sheila Metzner and Sarah Moon rediscovered the Fresson printing process and gave it a resurgence in the '80s. This was made from a preset I made in Nik Color Efex Pro starting in the film section.
Before there was "CSI Miami" there was "Miami Vice", which also added a warm glow to every scene. This picture comes from a custom "CSI Miami" preset in Nik Color Efex Pro's Glamor Glow.
A cliche that started in the '80s was to include the edges of the film. The effect here comes from the OnOne Photoframe Free, a Photoshop plug-in.
Another common treatment from the '80s was the practice of filing a larger opening in the enlarger carrier, which allowed printing the full frame and gave a small black smudge around the edge. A new feature of Nik Silver Efex Pro 2 is a random frame effect. This picture was made using a green filter, Agfa 100 film and coffee toner.
This picture is the basis for the rest. To get to this starting point, I used this typical (for me) workflow:
- In Lightroom 3, balance color using X-Rite Color Checker Passport, crop, minor dodge & burn and clarity adjustments.
- Open in Photoshop CS5 for levels adjustment, spotting, resizing, etc.
- Pass through Nik Dfine in auto mode.
- Use Nik Viveza to adjust brightness, contrast and structure. I lowered overall structure slightly, then pulled it back up with control points on Trisha's eyes and mouth.
- Back in Lightroom 3, I added some black and boosted recovery.
|Lens:||AF Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 D|
|Exposure:||ISO 200, f/4 @ 1/15s, Auto WB, RAW|
|Lighting:||Single Calumet Quattro beauty with 5500K fluorescent bulbs|
|Support:||Gitzo Basalt Tripod, Acratech GP head, RRS L-bracket|
|Location:||Grand Center Artists' Studios|
|Dates:||Capture - February 19, 2011, Processed - February 23, 2011|
|Processing:||Lightroom 3.3, Photoshop CS5, Nik Silver Efex Pro 2, Nik Color Efex Pro|