Monday, April 4, 2011

Ring Light Flash: Phoenix Smart Flash RF46N Test

Mother of Pearl Balls and Bowl

Today a Phoenix Smart Flash RF46N Macro Ring Flash for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras was waiting for me when I came home, so, of course, I wanted to click off a few test shots.  The Phoenix unit gets mixed reviews on Amazon, mostly about cheap construction.  It is also the unfortunate star of this Gary Fong video, which looks like he shot in a hotel room with a pro, and I don't mean model:


You go, Gary!  Well, I ordered one anyway and I'm happy I did. I captured these two samples with the Phoenix mounted on an AF Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 D and D700, ISO 200, manual f/16 @ 1/60s.  The strobe is iTTL only.

Silk Flower at 1:1
The Phoenix build quality and finish is Spartan, but better than I expected.  The only control is an on/off switch, so iTTL is the only mode option.  The strobe works in full automatic, manual , exposure priority and aperture priority modes.  All the curtain modes work as expected, as did all the flash bracketing modes.  Color balance is right at 5500K.  The default adapter ring is 52mm, perfect for my 105mm Micro-Nikkor.

Dried Chrysthanemum
I purchased my Phoenix RF46N from Amazon.com for $95.
More to come with fashion subjects.

No comments: