Monday, May 16, 2011

Lunar Corona, HDR Variations


A Lunar corona is seen when the clouds are thin enough that each single corona light ray reaching the eye (or camera) is scattered or diffracted by only one droplet or ice crystal.  When I composed the moon off center, the corona vanished.  This first variation was processed in Nik HDR Efex for tone contour mapping, Photoshop for levels adjustment, Nik Color Efex Pro to create a Fresson print and finally Nik Dfine to reduce noise.


I wanted to see how well the image would hold up as a monochrome, so this is the result of processing in Nik Silver Efex Pro 2 with a strong blue filter and Cyanotype toner.


I'm really on the fence with regard to purchasing OnOne PhotoFrame.  I love a number of the effects, but do I really need this one?  It is kind of creepy, so maybe I do...


Finally, a acid wash variation from OneOne PhotoFrame Free.  Nice grunge feel, I think.

Technical
Camera: Nikon D700
Lens: AF NIKKOR 180mm f/2.8D IF-ED "Leni Lens"
Exposure: ISO 400, 5x brackets around f/2.8 @ 1s, Daylight WB, RAW
Lighting: Moonlight
Support: Gitzo Basalt Tripod, Acratech GP-2, RRS L-Bracket
Location: Ballwin, MO
Dates: Capture - April 17, 2011, Processed May 16, 2011
Processing: Lightroom 3.3, Photoshop CS5, Nik HDR Efex, Nik Silver Efex Pro 2, OnOne PhotoFrame Free

No comments: