Monday, September 29, 2008

Infrared Test 1, Tower Grove Park Fountain

Recently I had a few questions about digital infrared technique and my early experiments, so I thought I'd share my first shot on this blog.  First, a "normal" reference image, Nikon D100, 105mm f/2.8 Micro, f/11 @ 1/500s.  No manipulation.
 
Same camera and lens, using a Hoya Infrared R72 filter, f/11 @ 1/8s (camera automatic exposure).  The R72 passes light above 720nm.    

Curves auto-correction of the red image above in Nikon Capture yeilds an interesting false color image, not unlike a color infrared image.

Finally, a B&W conversion in Photoshop.  I think the effect is somewhere between a true B&W infrared film capture and a Photoshop channels manipulation. 



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this series. Especially the black and white.