Sunday, December 21, 2008

Camera Bag Zipper

There is not much information available about the bokeh characteristics of the AF Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 D, so I thought I'd give it a workout before I used it for portraits on a Nikon D700.  
I picked a fairly stark (and convenient) B&W subject to make the effects of chromatic and spherical aberration easy to see. The shot is Nikon D700, 105mm, f/4.0 @ 1/60s using on camera flash for fill.  

The Micro Nikkors are highly corrected to control chromatic and spherical aberration.  What we see here is, I think, a pleasant bleed of black into the white background, with no hint of chromatic aberration or geometric distortion.  I must say that even compared to the Leica-M 90mm f/2.0 Summicron and Zeiss 180mm f/4.0, my pre-digital portrait workhorses, the transition from dark to light feels very smooth, despite the Nikkor having only a seven blade diaphram.  

More serious tests to come, but this is encouraging.

No comments: