Thursday, May 6, 2010

Infrared Tree Abstract #1



On LifePixel.com, the company sells kits to convert cameras to be dedicated infrared devices, there is an excellent tutorial about how to process digital infrared captures in Photoshop that caught my attention.  I decided to play along at home with an old infrared shot from Tower Grove Park.  The key step in the tutorials is to pick a custom white balance to get good tonal separation from the dull red capture.  I had to rough it up a bit beyond the tutorial, but I like the final product as an abstraction.

Technical: Nikon D100, Micro-Nikkor 105mm f2.8, Cokin P007 infrared filter, ISO 200, f/11 @ 1/2s.  RAW file processed in Lightroom 2, translating the Life Pixel recommended Photoshop processing steps, then adding a few of my own, including a sepia/aqua split tone effect.
 

No comments: