Tuesday, March 23, 2010

James Spader's Stand-In for "White Palace", 1989



This is another St. Louis Galleria advertising photo from 1989.  I'm drawing a blank on the model's name and the purpose of the shot, but I remember that he was working as James Spader's stand-in when "White Palace" was shooting in St. Louis.  I heard he went on to work as Spader's stand-in for several other projects.  The agency said he'd left for LA when I tried to book him again the week after this shot.

The JPEG here looks really flat for some reason; the print I copied has a fairly long tonal scale.  I was going through my "flash blur" and split toning phases at the same time.  I had a nice North light studio in the Globe Democrat building, so I was able to shoot a combination of strobe and ambient light while hand holding the camera to create the flash blur on static subjects.  The leaf shutter on the Hassleblad really helped to fine tune the degree of blur.   

Technical: Hasselblad 500CM, Zeiss 180mm f/4, Agfa Pan 25, f/5.6 @ 1/8s, hand held.  Lighting from North window light, single Broncolor strobe head and single Lowell DP for the background.  Print on Agfa Portriga Rapid #3, partially bleached in potassium ferro-cyanide, toned in Kodak Rapid Selenium toner diluted 31:1.  Copy with Nikon D700, Nikkor 50mm f1.4G, f/5.6 @ 1/8s.  

No comments: