Saturday, August 7, 2010

Solarized Vase #1



While working through a tutorial about using using Photoshop CS5's HDR pro, I took some bracketed pictures of this vase sitting in our basement.  As an HDR experiment, it was interesting because I could pull out all the detail in the black vase without blowing out the white of the mantle it is sitting on.  So this picture started with HDR output from Photoshop.  I liked the simple shape and composition, but the color image was too flat and not very graphic, so I used Nik Color Efex Pro to solarize the image, then converted it to gray scale and used a sepia and blue split tone in Lightroom 3.

Camera: Nikon D700 
Lens: AF NIKKOR 180mm f/2.8D IF-ED "Leni lens"
Exposure: ISO 200, f/11 @ 2.5s, tripod (Gitzo Basalt GT2830 and Gitzo GH2781QR ball head)
Lighting: Window light 
Location: My house
Processing: Lightroom 3, Photoshop CS5, Nik Color Efex Pro

No comments: