Saturday, November 27, 2010

Artemis Running #9, HDR Test


The one picture stop I always make on a visit to the St. Louis Art Museum it "Artemis Running".  This time, I thought I'd see how well make handheld HDR work.  The light was very flat, so I used my custom "Realistic Bright" setting in Nik HDR Efex to pull up detail and contrast without introducing exaggerated color or texture.  The picture got a little finishing help from Photoshop CS5 to adjust levels and curves.


This monochrome was made in Nik Silver Efex Pro using a custom preset I call "Wet Plate" that emulates the collodion process, then applied the sepia/blue split tone in Lightroom 3.


I have a preset in Nik Color Efex Pro that I call Fresson, which I applied for this version.  I can see that the Fresson processing lends itself more to pictures with less dynamic range.


Camera: Nikon D700
Lens: Nikkor AF-S 50mm f1.4 G
Exposure: ISO 800, f/5.6 @ 1/50s x three 1-stop brackets
Support: Handheld
Lighting: Mixed window daylight and tungsten
Location: St. Louis Art Musem GPS
Dates: Capture - November 26, 2010, Processed - November 27, 2010
Processing: RAW in Lightroom 3, Nik HDR Efex, Photoshop CS5, Nik Silver Efex Pro

No comments: