Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Glass and Brick Study #2, Clayton, Missouri



Another picture I took during Art St. Louis '09.  The color version is very dull, but I think the monochrome saves it by emphasizing the design.  The 180mm "Leni" lens is just amazingly smooth and easy to handle.  The flattened perspective helps de-empahsize non-parallel lines, but I still find it a little annoying.

While I don't miss lugging the equipment and tedious setup, I do miss the extra control afforded by a view camera for architectural work.  Once upon a time I owned an enormous 450mm f9.0 Schneider Symmar HM that I used primarily as a portrait lens for my Sinar F 8x10.  As I was shooting and trying to frame to minimize the converging parallels, it occurred to me that 450mm on a 4x5 yields roughly the same perspective as a 180mm on a DX sensor.  

Technical: Nikon D700, Nikkor AF 180mm f2.8 ED-IF, ISO 200, -1.0 exp. comp., f/8.0 @ 1/2500s.  RAW file processed in Lightroom 2.5 to convert to greyscale, then use split toning add sepia to mid tones.

No comments: