Saturday, September 12, 2009

Water Lily With Insect - Missouri Botanical Gardens



I've been eager to try out my new Nikkor AF 180mm f2.8 ED-IF "Leni" lens at the botanical gardens, but it wound up being an exercise in frustration because my Manfrotto 486RC2 ball head is not heavy duty enough to support it.  I was hoping to do some HDR work, but the frame kept drifting during the brackets.  I'd love to hear recommendations for medium priced ball heads.  The "Leni" lens is really magnificent!  I wish I'd purchased one much sooner.

Technical: Nikon D700, Nikkor AF 180mm f2.8 ED-IF, ISO 200, Cokin circular polarizer, f/16 @ 1/15s, using tripod, ball head and cable release.  The polarizer made a big difference in color saturation.  RAW file processed in Lightroom 2 to straighten (fixing ball head drift), apply Nikon's Camera Vivid profile (first time I've actually used it) and burn in the foreground -1.0 (the light was very flat).

No comments: